Press Release ~ MAKES 3 ORGANICS® SUPPORTS OVERSIGHT OF PERSONAL CARE PRODUCTS
Contact: Kristine Sperling
Telephone: (805) 455-0815
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
March 8, 2019
MAKES 3 ORGANICS® SUPPORTS OVERSIGHT OF PERSONAL CARE PRODUCTS
Personal Care Products Safety Act Introduced in Congress
Santa Barbara, California, March 8, 2019 – California-based Makes 3 Organics®, providing innovative alternatives to conventional and “natural” personal care products, announces its support of The Personal Care Product Safety Act, a bipartisan bill introduced in Congress by Senators Diane Feinstein (D-CA) and Susan Collins (R-ME). The legislation will protect consumer health and strengthen the Food and Drug Administration’s efforts to regulate ingredients in personal care products. The bill will update 80-year-old federal safety rules for the $60 billion personal care products industry.
The Personal Care Products Safety Act would:
- Require the FDA to evaluate a minimum of five ingredients found in personal care products per year to determine their safety and appropriate use.
- Provide FDA the authority to recall personal care products that threaten consumer safety.
- Provide FDA the authority to require labeling of products that include ingredients not appropriate for children and those that should be professionally administered.
- Require complete label information to be posted online, including ingredients and product warnings.
- Require companies to provide contact information on their products for consumers and report serious adverse events to FDA within 15 days, including death, hospitalization and disfigurement. Health effects that could have resulted in hospitalization without early intervention would also be required to be reported.
- Require manufacturers to register annually with FDA and provide the agency with information on the ingredients used in their personal care products.
- Direct FDA to issue regulations on Good Manufacturing Practices for personal care products.
To fund these new oversight activities, the bill would authorize FDA to collect user fees from personal care product manufacturers similar to what is done for medications and medical devices.
“As President of a small business its’ been very rewarding to be involved with this legislation. I indeed support regulatory intervention on this issue because it is human health that is at stake," said Daniel Sperling, President of Makes 3 Organics®.
To request high-res photos or to arrange an interview, please contact Kristine Sperling email@example.com.
# # #
About Makes 3 Organics®
Makes 3 Organics® is a family business on a personal mission to provide innovative alternatives to conventional and “natural” personal care products. Makes 3 Organics® offers USDA Certified Organic and EWG VERIFIED™ personal care products that are good for you, feel good, smell good, are fun to use, affordable, can be delivered anywhere in the United States and can be found in convenient locations. Company founders also believe promoting goodness in the world at large with their Share the Suds Project™ whereby Makes 3 Organics® donates a portion of profits to locally-based non-profit organizations serving local families in need.